Web design statistics show that digital marketing is a constantly evolving landscape, presenting hurdles that marketers must overcome to ensure customer engagement, increased website traffic, and ultimately an increase in ROI.
In order to achieve success, online businesses and websites must understand what digital trends work across marketers and their industries.
We’ve researched and compiled the ultimate list of digital marketing statistics for you to digest and put into practice in 2021 and beyond.
Table of Contents
Email Digital Marketing Statistics
Email marketing is extremely effective; on average for every $1 spent, a return of $44 can be made from email marketing. Focusing digital efforts on email marketing is a great way to running a successful online business.
- Email marketing has an average of 4400% ROI
- Welcome emails have an average open rate of 82%
- 91% of email users have unsubscribed from a company email they previously opted-in to
- 49% of emails are opened on mobile devices
- 102.6 trillion emails are sent and received each year
- 54% of all emails are classed as spam
- 74% of marketers say personalization increases customer engagement
- 95% of companies who use marketing automation take advantage of email marketing
- 49% of consumers say they would prefer to receive weekly promotional emails from their chosen brands
- Sending 3 abandoned cart emails results in 69% more orders than only 1 email
- More than 50% of people check their email before doing anything else online
Mobile eCommerce Statistics
Many people perform their own online research before purchasing products. Much of this is done on mobile devices. Mobile eCommerce is quick and convenient and can offer massive potential for your online business, allowing you to reach out to consumers anywhere across the world at any given time.
- 95% of people in the US own a mobile phone
- People spend over 3.5 hours per day on their mobile devices
- 51% of shoppers have completed an online purchase with their smartphone
- 93% of Millennials compare online deals using a mobile device
- During the 2017 holidays, shoppers made 108% more purchases using apps than via mobile internet
- There are more than 5.11 billion unique mobile users worldwide
- In 2021, mCommerce sales will account for more than 50% of all eCommerce sales
- iPhone users spend more than Android or Windows users on an average order
SEO Digital Marketing Statistics
If you want to grow your business online, SEO is one of the most important and effective marketing strategies. SEO doesn’t have to cost much money if any, so you can focus your budget on other areas. As you’ll see from our full SEO statistics guide, SEO is somewhat of an art form, combining content creation, branding, and promotion to generate high-quality visitors to your website.
- 72% of online marketers say content creation is the most effective SEO tactic
- Per second, Google receives 77,000 searches on their search engine
- 67% of clicks go to the first 5 results displayed in search engines
- 12% of search queries have featured snippets
- 50% of search queries consist of 4 words or more
- 90% of web pages get zero organic traffic from Google
- Video content is 50x more likely to drive organic search results than plain text
- Only 0.78% of Google searchers will click on the second page
- 68% of all online experiences start with a search engine
Online Shopping Statistics
Online shopping is much more than just buying products on a whim. These statistics offer analytical data to pinpoint online shopping trends and how you can leverage them to reward your business with success.
- Men spend 68% more money online than women do
- 1.66 billion people shop online each year
- 56% of shoppers say that unexpected costs will cause them to leave a website without making their purchase
- 79% of consumers in the US say that free shipping would make them more likely to shop online
- Nearly 50% of small businesses in the US don’t have a website
- Compared to Baby Boomers and Millennials, Generation X shops online more
- 50% of consumers say online live chat is the best way to reach a business
- The industries with the highest cart abandonment rates are financial, non-profit, travel, and retail
Research suggests that blog posts with 2,000+ words will rank higher in search engines. Why? Because they often contain higher-quality content that’s relevant to the reader. The latest digital marketing statistics teach us that log posts should include visuals, headers, and highlights to ensure the information is easily digestible, not only for readers but also for search engines.
- 55% of marketers say blog content creation is a top priority
- Articles with images get 94% more views than visual-lacking content
- 86% of marketers use blogging as part of their marketing strategy
- Organizations that prioritise blogging achieve 13x the ROI than those that don’t
- Customers are 40% more likely to purchase from a brand that tailors content specific to their needs
- Content marketing costs 62% less than traditional marketing and generates 3x as many leads
Video, especially in the last year, has been gaining a lot of traction online. Marketers understand the importance of video including live video, webinars, social stories, and lots more. Mobile devices are now more capable than ever to host videos and offer more video tools to create and view content.
- By 2022, 83% of the world’s internet traffic will be video
- 35% of marketers used live video in 2018
- 54% of consumers want to see more video from brands that they follow
- 87% of marketers use video content
- Product videos can increase purchases by 144%
- 88% of marketers are satisfied with the ROI from their video marketing efforts across social media
Social Media Statistics
The likes of Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter allow social media users worldwide to engage with their brands on a deeper level. Understanding where your customers come from can be a significant driver of traffic.
- Facebook has 1.82 billion active daily users
- 79% of internet users in the US have Facebook
- 32% of internet users in the US have Instagram
- Instagram has the second-highest ROI among social media channels
- Instagram has 84x more engagement than Twitter
- There are over 1 billion active monthly Instagram users
- 42% of all Twitter users use the platform daily
- 80% of active users access Twitter from their phone
- 77% of Twitter users feel more positive about a brand if their tweet has been replied to
- The average CTR for Facebook ads is 0.9%
- People are 5x more likely to watch a Facebook video on their phones
- 85% of Facebook videos are watched without sound
- 67% of adults between 18 and 29 use Instagram
- Photos on Instagram showing faces gets 30% more likes than photos without faces
- Twitter is the lowest ranking ROI driver for ad buyers in the US
Social Marketing Statistics
Social selling refers to leveraging social media and social networks to reach a wider audience and nurture new and existing relationships with the goal of converting leads. Social networks are a powerful marketing tool that can increase sales and ROI.
- 78% of salespeople using social media platforms perform better than their peers
- Outbound cold calling only has a 2.5% success rate
- There are over 1.5 billion social media users globally
- 55% of buyers do research via social media before making a purchase
- IBM boosted sales by 400% following a social selling program
- 77% of B2B purchasers won’t speak to a salesperson until they’ve done their own research
- Only 7% of people say that social selling was a priority for their sales organization
- 87% of B2B buyers have a favorable impression of a salesperson if they were introduced to them via their professional network
- 84% of executives use contacts and information from social networks as part of their purchase process
Conversion Rate Optimization (CRO) is calculated by looking at the percentage of visitors to your website that complete a desired action, e.g. click on a button, complete a form, subscribe, etc. The first step of marketing is to get visitors to your website, but getting them to convert is a different story.
- Conversions can increase by 86% by using visual content like videos on landing pages
- 68% of small businesses don’t have a structured CRO strategy
- Only 22% of businesses are satisfied with their conversion rates
- For every $92 spent on acquiring a customer, just $1 is spent on trying to convert them
- A 1-second delay in your website speed can reduce conversions by up to 7%
- Asking for a phone number has the worst impact on conversion rates
- Personalized call to actions (CTAs) convert 42% more visitors than non-personalized ones
- A/B testing is the most used method of CRO
Ineffective Stategy Statistics
Many marketers are still using ineffective strategies despite increasing their digital advertising budgets. It’s often the case that marketers are unable to gauge the results of their advertising efforts. Combining actionable data of high quality enables marketers to make smarter optimization choices.
- Only 61% of marketers believe their marketing strategy is effective
- 40% of marketers say their top marketing challenge is proving the ROI of their marketing activities
- 58% of marketers are challenged with how to target or segment their audience
- 80% of marketers report their lead generation efforts are only slightly effective
- 42% of B2B marketers say that lack of quality data is their biggest barrier to lead generation
- 22% of businesses are satisfied with their conversion rates