Nowadays it’s pretty easy to build your own website. Website builders make it possible for even those with no technical skill to be able to create a website from scratch.
Website builders are handy because they’re often affordable, simple to use, and easy to rank well on Google and other search engines.
If you’re a musician, you may be wondering what the best website builders for musicians are. I’ve signed up to a lot of website builders in my time and reviewed their pros and cons. This time I’ve specifically looked at how they can be used for musicians to advertise their work, shows, events, and sell tickets to their gigs and concerts.
Table of Contents
The Best Website Builders For Musicians
Before we go into each website builder in-depth, I wanted to give you a quick overview of my recommended website builders for musicians. You may already be using one of these services, or you’ve likely heard of them. For musicians, DJs, and gig organizers, here’s the list you’ve been waiting for:
Who Needs A Website?
You may be wondering, as a musician, why you need a website. You’ve probably already considered it if you’ve landed on this article, but to reiterate why and who needs a website, here are the reasons:
- Creating a brand image: Building your own website will allow you to create and advertise your brand image. Although you can use social media to your advantage, a website can offer many more features
- Exposure: Over 4.5 billion people around the world use the internet. That’s a lot of exposure if someone is searching for a musician for an event, their wedding, or something else.
- Sell tickets: You can use your website to promote your upcoming gigs and sell tickets
- Bookings: Similarly to selling tickets, you can accept bookings on your website for events that potential organizers can come across
- Community: Having a website and social media pages can boost your community following and allow your fans to know what’s going on, latest news, and what’s coming up
- Earn some money: As well as selling tickets, you can sell merchandise for upcoming tours like mugs, t-shirts, etc.
Wix has two ways in which you can build your website, either through the Wix editor or Wix ADI. The Wix App store allows you to customize your website beyond the features that come as standard with Wix.
Wix’s pricing starts from just $6 per month, as well as offering website and eCommerce plans to suit your needs. If you decide to create an online store off the back of your successful musicians website, you can easily upgrade to a suitable plan when you need it.
Wix Music is a feature that allows you to promote and sell your music without much effort. You can sell gig tickets and merchandise, as well as integration with the likes of Spotify and iTunes.
Why I like Wix: Wix is incredibly easy to use, even if you’ve never looked at a website before. There’s hundreds of mobile-friendly templates that are suitable for musicians. You can create anything from membership websites to forums, write a blog, and sell your gig tickets online.
How Wix could improve: The only really major downfall of Wix is that once your website is live, you can’t switch templates. If you start working on a template, you can’t transfer the content to a new template, so you’d need to be sure of your design before committing too much time to it.
Bandzoogle don’t offer a free plan, however, they do allow you to try their platform free for 30 days – no credit card is required. Paid plans start from around $8 per month and include all of the features you’ll need to get your musician website up and running.
Why I like Bandzoogle: Once your website is designed, you can upload your music tracks and sell your music online via your website. You can sell tickets, embed music players, and you’ll get a free domain name when you sign up.
How Bandzoogle could improve: If you’re new to website creation you may find their editor a little less intuitive in comparison to Wix. There are predefined columns you must follow and you’ll be limited on songs, pages, and image uploads unless you sign up for their most expensive plan.
SquareSpace were founded in 2003 and have made it possible for millions of customers to create professional looking websites in no time at all. Their system is easy to use and can help guide you through anything from boosting your SEO ranking to adding images to a gallery.
SquareSpace has a built-in system where you can upload songs and music to your website, as well as being able to sell your music and tickets online. You can use their embed block to integrate Spotify playlists and other similar services.
Why I like SquareSpace: The thing that really stands out about SquareSpace is there templates. You’ll find a whole host of musician templates that you can get started on right away. All of their templates are responsive and their pricing plans are simple with unlimited storage and bandwidth.
How SquareSpace could improve: If you’re a complete beginner, you may find SquareSpace’s system a little overwhelming. I wouldn’t say it was particularly complicated to use, especially not after several hours of experience, however, it can be a bit much to swallow at first.
Weebly is incredibly easy to use. It’s also often included for free when you sign up to web hosting services like BlueHost’s shared hosting. Weebly’s Pro plan is $12 per month and includes a custom music player.
You can sell your music, tickets, and merchandise with Weebly’s online store. Although Weebly doesn’t offer as much choice in terms of templates, there are still some really nice ones to choose from that would be suitable for a musicians website.
Why I like Weebly: You can’t go wrong with Weebly’s system. It’s very easy to use and intuitive, making it perfect for beginners. You’ll get unlimited storage and bandwidth meaning you can upload as many songs as you want to.
How Weebly could improve: Some of Weebly’s plans will take a small cut of your sales. You’re also limited to the amount of products you can sell as Weebly isn’t really designed for eCommerce stores. There aren’t any musician-specific templates either, whereas other website builders do offer this.
WordPress isn’t a website builder as such, but I’m classing it as one for the purpose of this review. With WordPress you can build a website beyond your wildest dreams. However, I would recommend that beginners start with another website builder, or learn some coding skills.
There are thousands of themes available for musicians on WordPress. All you need to do is look around and you’ll come across an enormous variety from sites like ThemeForest. You can install plugins to your WordPress website which extend the functionality of your site, e.g. music players.
Why I like WordPress: WordPress makes it possible to create any kind of website you can imagine. With the option of thousands of themes and plugins, you can do whatever you like. It takes a bit more time to get used to but the possibilities are endless.
How WordPress could improve: I don’t think WordPress can improve much, but what I will say is that this route may be more expensive as you’ll need to source a domain and hosting yourself. On top of this, if you want to buy a premium musicians theme and relevant plugins, you could be looking at higher costs
How To Get Visitors To Your Website
Once you’ve used a website builder for your musicians website, you may be wondering how to get people visiting it. Getting traffic to your website will help you to be able to promote your music, sell records, and get bookings for your next gigs.
- Social media: Having a relevant social media profile will help engage your existing following and point them in the direction of your website. You can explore multiple channels including Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, and more.
- Streaming: It’s useful for you to join streaming services so you can upload your music and allow people to find you. You can reach millions of users through the likes of Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, SoundCloud, etc.
- SEO: Most website builders come with SEO tools that allow you to rank for relevant keywords in search results. Try and think of keywords that aren’t so competitive, e.g. “punk musicians” or “new age musicians”.
- Content: You should create content alongside your music creations. It’s easy to share music, but people are more likely to share interesting and relevant content that relates to your website. The website builders on this list allow you to create a blog on your website, so invest some time or even put your creative vibes to good use and make a video.
Choosing The Right Website Builder For Musicians
There’s plenty of website builders that you can sign up to to create and build your musicians website. As we’ve seen, some are easier to use than others, whereas some offer more features and templates to get started.
In most cases, you can launch your musician website within a matter of hours, so you can start selling your gig tickets, merchandise, and music straight away. Here’s a quick overview of which website builder is best to get started with:
- Weebly and Wix are the easiest website builders to get started with
- SquareSpace will offer some of the best and most professional looking templates
- The best music-focussed solutions are offers by Wix, SquareSpace, and Bandzoogle
- Wix and Weebly currently offer free plans
- WordPress has the most extensive list of features, plugins, and themes but takes more time to learn